You are here:Home -> Harestanes Countryside Visitor Centre
Harestanes Countryside Visitor Centre
The former, 19th century Home Farm of Monteviot Estate now provides interpretation of Borders wildlife and the springboard to a network of paths. Pleasant walks include the Waterloo Monument on the summit of Peniel Heugh, and the Centre is located on the longer St Cuthberts Way and Roman Dere Street paths.
Harestanes reputedly takes its name from a prehistoric standing stones that once existed here. In the Middle Ages there was a hospital known as Ancrum Spital and this was burnt in 1545 by the soldiers of King Henry VIII of England. The former Home Farm and the grounds of Monteviot House date from the early 19th century, when trees were planted around the hill of Peniel Heugh, reputedly to represent the armies that fought at Waterloo in 1815. Harestanes is now managed by Scottish Borders Council Museums and Gallery Service. A programme detailing events, exhibitions and activities is available free. Tel. 01835 830306, www.scotborders.gov.uk/harestanes or email email@example.com
10am-5pm daily from April - Ocotber
Strang, C A, 1994. Borders and Berwick: An illustrated architectural guide